Wednesday, July 10, 2013
My second doodle is finished! I used red couching thread on this one and mixed in some bezants and pearls, resulting in a very different look. I was going for a more Byzantine style and design on this one and I like how it turned out. The main downside to the "doodle" approach to trying out new stuff is that this doodle looks very hand drawn (which it was, in various stages). My modern aesthetic balks at imperfect geometry, but I console myself with the thought that it does look more like the stuff I see in museums.
Friday, July 5, 2013
I've finally started playing around more with my faux (cheap) gold work kit that I put together a while back. I've been wanting to do something more than the little sample swatches I put together before. I have mounted a few bits of wool on the frame and without much planning or fanfare, begun to doodle. The first bit turned out to be a rose, which is about 1.5 inches in diameter. I like the results and have improved my skills substantially. At some point I realized that I had accidentally committed myself to quite a bit more chip work than I wanted, but I stayed the course. It's hard to see, but the petals are padded and have a sloped, bubble effect for surprisingly nice dimensional effects (for a first try). I've used up all the check in that size, but the results have amazing sparkle. I think I would like to display it in a dark closet with one candle for the "oooh" effect!
Monday, July 1, 2013
I finished the applique and other stitching on the horse tunic. My little guy was checking my progress regularly and is pleased with the result. This one is still a little big on him, so hopefully it should last more than one or two events before he out grows it!