Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Gold Work Doodle #2

Goldwork doodle #2 My second doodle is finished! I used red couching thread on this one and mixed in some bezants and pearls, resulting in a very different look. I was going for a more Byzantine style and design on this one and I like how it turned out. The main downside to the "doodle" approach to trying out new stuff is that this doodle looks very hand drawn (which it was, in various stages). My modern aesthetic balks at imperfect geometry, but I console myself with the thought that it does look more like the stuff I see in museums.

I thought I'd include a picture of the two doodles, side by side. They are essentially the same basic gold work supplies and same ground fabric - what a different appearance! Comparision on #1 and #2

No comments: