Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Long arm cross stitch

long arm cross stitch

I've been doing a lot of playing around lately with different threads and techniques, and having a lot of fun with it. This is my test swatch for both a thread and technique. I've never done long arm cross stitch before, so I thought I'd give it a try. It is a little different rhythm than regular cross stitch, but the stitching itself is very similar. The result is a thicker stitch cover of the fabric that was used for all sorts of things in medieval times. The pattern is from a Dover Design book.

The threads that I used were Gütermann top stitch threads. This thread is made for decorative top stitching with sewing machines, but it's much thicker than normal sewing thread and I was curious. Overall, I was surprised that I love it! It's easy to handle, the cotton is very nice, and I don't have to deal with multiple plies. I feel a little silly to admit it, but I also really, really like that it's on a spool so I don't have to fiddle with it. Not only do I really like stitching with it, but the thread is also made for sewing machine work - so it's color safe and washable! Hooray! I think it's the perfect candidate for some heavy fighting garb.

No comments: